Abbreviations used:BMI (Body mass index), CAD (Coronary artery disease), CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), COVID-19 (Coronavirus disease 2019), DM (Diabetes mellitus), HTN (Hypertension), ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision), ICS (Inhaled corticosteroid), ICU (Intensive care unit), LABA (Long-acting β-agonist), OSA (Obstructive sleep apnea), RR (Relative risk), SARS-CoV-2 (Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2)
- Aerosol and surface stability of SARS-CoV-2 as compared with SARS-CoV-1.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1564-1567
- Presenting characteristics, comorbidities, and outcomes among 5700 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in the New York City area.JAMA. 2020; 323: 2052-2059
- Characteristics and outcomes of 21 critically Ill patients with COVID-19 in Washington State.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1612-1614
- Recent trends in current asthma prevalence among US adults, 2009-2018.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020; (S2213-2198:30398-6)
- Most recent national asthma data.(Available at:)Accessed May 6, 2020)
- Epidemiology of asthma exacerbations.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008; 122: 662-668
- Viral and bacterial infection in acute asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease increases the risk of readmission.Respirology. 2013; 18: 996-1002
- Molecular detection of respiratory pathogens and typing of human rhinovirus of adults hospitalized for exacerbation of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Respir Res. 2019; 20: 210
- Regional, age and respiratory-secretion-specific prevalence of respiratory viruses associated with asthma exacerbation: a literature review.Arch Virol. 2018; 163: 845-853
- Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 507-513
Li X, Xu S, Yu M, Wang K, Tao Y, Zhou Y, et al. Risk factors for severity and mortality in adult COVID-19 inpatients in Wuhan [published online ahead of print April 12, 2020]. J Allergy Clin Immunol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2020.04.006.
- Covid-19 in critically ill patients in the Seattle region—case series.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2012-2022
- Hospitalization rates and characteristics of patients hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed coronavirus disease 2019—COVID-NET, 14 states, March 1–30, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69
- Characteristics of hospitalized adults with COVID-19 in an integrated health care system in California.JAMA. 2020; 323: 2195-2198
- Mild versus severe COVID-19: laboratory markers.Int J Infect Dis. 2020; 95: 304-7
- Asthma: adults who have been diagnosed with asthma.(Available at:)
- Asthma and comorbid medical illness.Eur Respir J. 2011; 38: 42-49
- Risk factors of frequent exacerbations in difficult-to-treat asthma.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 812-818
- Comorbidities in difficult-to-control asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018; 6: 108-113
- Overview of virus-induced airway disease.Proc Am Thoracic Soc. 2005; 2: 150-156
- Do chronic respiratory diseases or their treatment affect the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection?.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 436-438
- Inhaled corticosteroids and COVID-19: a systematic review and clinical perspective.Eur Respir J. 2020; 552001009
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 is a functional receptor for the SARS coronavirus.Nature. 2003; 426: 450-454
- A pneumonia outbreak associated with a new coronavirus of probable bat origin.Nature. 2020; 579: 270-273
- SARS-CoV-2 cell entry depends on ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and is blocked by a clinically proven protease inhibitor.Cell. 2020; 181: 271-280
Jackson DJ, Busse WW, Bacharier LB, Kattan M, O’Connor GT, Wood RA, et al. Association of respiratory allergy, asthma and expression of the SARS-CoV-2 receptor, ACE2 [published online ahead of print April 22, 2020]. J Allergy Clin Immunol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2020.04.009.
Peters MC, Sajuthi S, Deford P, Christenson S, Rios CL, Montgomery MT, et al. COVID-19 related genes in sputum cells in asthma: relationship to demographic features and corticosteroids [published online ahead of print April 29, 2020]. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202003-0821OC.
Matsuyama S, Kawase M, Nao N, Shirato K, Ujike M, Kamitani W, et al. The inhaled corticosteroid ciclesonide blocks coronavirus RNA replication by targeting viral NSP15 [published online ahead of print March 12, 2020]. bioRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.03.11.987016.
This work was supported by the Chronic Rhinosinusitis Integrative Studies Program 2 (grant no. NIH P01AI145818 ) and the Ernest Bazley Foundation .
Disclosure of potential conflict of interest: The authors declare that they have no relevant conflicts of interest.