Abbreviation used:CHW (Community health worker)
- Trends in asthma prevalence, health care use, and mortality in the United States, 2001-2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; : 1-8
PCORI funding announcement: treatment options for African Americans and Hispanic/Latinos with uncontrolled asthma. 2013. Accessed August 15, 2016. Available at: http://www.pcori.org/sites/default/files/PCORI-PFA-Asthma-061813.pdf.
- Health disparities in asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 185: 1033-1035
- Informing evidence-based decision-making for patients with comorbidity: availability of necessary information in clinical trials for chronic diseases.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e41601
- Using IT to improve access, communication, and asthma in African American and Hispanic/Latino adults: rationale, design, and methods of a randomized controlled trial.Contemp Clin Trials. 2015; 44: 119-128
- A multicenter observational study of US adults with acute asthma: who are the frequent users of the emergency department?.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2014; 2: 733-740
- Unmet needs at the time of emergency department discharge.Acad Emerg Med. 2016; 23: 279-287
- Barriers to patient-clinician collaboration in asthma management: the patient experience.J Asthma. 2010; 47: 192-197
- Inequality in the long run.Science. 2014; 344: 838-843
- Community-level characteristics associated with variation in rates of homelessness among families and single adults.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: S340-S347
National Alliance to End Homelessness. The state of homelessness in America 2016. 2016. Available at: http://www.endhomelessness.org/library/entry/SOH2016. Accessed July 27, 2016.
- Problem solving to improve adherence and asthma outcomes in urban adults with moderate or severe asthma: a randomized controlled trial.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011; 128: 516-523
- Feasibility, acceptability and preliminary effectiveness of patient advocates for improving asthma outcomes in adults.J Asthma. 2013; 50: 850-860
- Outcomes of a home-based environmental remediation for urban children with asthma.J Natl Med Assoc. 2008; 100: 306-316
- Impact of a household environmental intervention delivered by lay health workers on asthma symptom control in urban, disadvantaged children with asthma.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: S657-S665
Research reported in this Perspective was funded through a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Program Award (AS-1307-05218). All views in this Perspective are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the PCORI, its Board of Governors, or the Methodology Committee.
Disclosure of potential conflict of interest: M. Rogers' institution has received a grant from Penn Medicine for the work under consideration for publication. L. Perez, A. R. Localio, and A. Apter's institutions have all received a grant from PCORI for the work under consideration for publication. A. Apter is employed by the University of Pennsylvania; has grants pending with the National Institutes of Health; and is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. The rest of the authors declare they have no relevant conflicts of interest.