Abbreviations used:ASHMI (Antiasthma herbal medicine intervention), PEF (Peak expiratory flow), TCM (Traditional Chinese medicine)
- Asthma: future directions.Med Clin North Am. 2002; 86: 1131-1156
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. National Asthma Education Program. Expert Panel Report.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1991; 88: 425-534
- Sepsis associated with immunosuppressive medications: an evidence-based review.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: S578-S590
- Decreased morning serum cortisol levels in children with asthma treated with inhaled fluticasone propionate.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: 217-221
- Side-effects of fluticasone in asthmatic children: no effects after dose reduction.Eur Respir J. 2004; 24: 420-425
- The chinese herbal medicine formula MSSM-002 suppresses allergic airway hyperreactivity and modulates TH1/TH2 responses in a murine model of allergic asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000; 106: 660-668
- Immunomodulatory effect of the anti-asthma Chinese herbal formula, MSSM-002 on Th2 cells.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 113: 268-276
- Introduction.in: Bensky D. Barolet R. Chinese herbal medicine: formulas & strategies. Eastland Press, Seattle (WA)1993: 466-467
- The potential use of Chinese herbal medicines in treating allergic asthma.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2004; 93: S35-S44
- Therapeutic effects of the Chinese herbal formula, MSSM-03d, on persistent airway hyperreactivity and airway remodeling.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 113 ([abstract]): S220-S221
Srivastava K, Zou ZM, Sampson HA, Dansky H, Li XM. Direct modulation of airway reactivity by the Chinese anti-asthma herbal formula ASHMI [abstract]. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;115:S7.
Ko J, Busse PJ, Shek L, Noone SA, Sampson HA, Li XM. Effect of Chinese herbal formulas on T cell responses in patients with peanut allergy or asthma [abstract]. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;115:S34.
Global Initiative for Asthma. Global strategy for asthma management and prevention. National Institutes of Health. Bethesda (Md): National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 2002.
- Toxicity grading systems: a comparison between the WHO scoring system and the Common Toxicity Criteria when used for nausea and vomiting.Ann Oncol. 1994; 5: 113-117
The Chinese respiratory Medical Science Institute. Asthma Educational Management Project Scheme. The Chinese Respiratory Medical Science Institute, The Chinese Pediatrics of Medical Science Institute, Asthma Study Group, 8-9. 2003.
- Eosinophil counting: clinical test.Sichuan Ke ji publishers, Chengdu (China)1994 (p. 13-8)
- Distribution of serum IgE in children and adolescents aged 7 to 16 years in Copenhagen, in relation to factors of importance.Allergy. 1992; 47: 484-489
- Distribution of IgE in a community population sample: correlations with age, sex, and allergen skin test reactivity.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1981; 68: 106-111
- Effects of the inhaled corticosteroids fluticasone propionate, triamcinolone acetonide, and flunisolide and oral prednisone on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in adult patients with asthma.Clin Ther. 1999; 21: 353-367
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis suppression after short-term, high-dose glucocorticoid therapy in children with asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1986; 77: 9-13
- Alterations in circadian rhythms of melatonin and cortisol in patients with bronchial asthma.Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2004; 25: 651-656
- Is low endogenous cortisol a risk factor for asthma?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160: 1428
- Role of serum cortisol levels in children with asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 165: 708-712
Fong HHS, Farnsworth NR, Mahady GB. Radix Glycyrrhizae. In: WHO monographs on selected medicinal plants. Vol 1. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1999. p. 183-94.
- Rhinitis and asthma: evidence for respiratory system integration.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 111: 1171-1183
- Epidemiologic evidence for asthma and rhinitis comorbidity.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000; 106: S201-S205
- Eosinophilic inflammation in asthma.N Engl J Med. 1990; 323: 1033-1039
- Plasma antibodies against heat shock protein 70 correlate with the incidence and severity of asthma in a Chinese population.Respir Res. 2005; 6: 18
- The study of T helper cell subsets and relationship to relative cytokines and ventilatory function in asthmatic patients.Chin J Tuberc Respir Dis. 2000; 23: 147-151
- Relationship between IL-4, Sicam-1, IFN-gama and IgE in allergic bronchial asthma.Zhong Guo Shiyong Neika Za Zhi (Chinese). 1999; 39: 665-666
- Study of effects and mechanisms of anti-anaphylaxis of LLA SFA GUF.J Harbin Med Sch. 1995; 16: 81-84
- In vivo effects of glucocorticoids on IgE production.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1994; 94: 222-230
- Corticosteroid effect on immunoglobulins.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1978; 62: 162-166
- Mechanisms of asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 111: S799-S804
- OX40 (CD134) controls memory T helper 2 cells that drive lung inflammation.J Exp Med. 2003; 198: 315-324
- The role of T lymphocytes in the pathogenesis of asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 111: 450-463
- Serum interleukin 5 concentrations in atopic and non-atopic patients with glucocorticoid-dependent chronic severe asthma.Thorax. 1994; 49: 1231-1233
- Adverse cardiovascular and central nervous system events associated with dietary supplements containing ephedra alkaloids.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 1833-1838
- The State Pharmacopoeia Commission of the People's Republic of China. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China.Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, China2000
- Hawaiian materia medica for asthma.Hawaii Med J. 1993; 52: 160-166
- Correlation between complex prescription with lucid ganoderma in treating rhinoallergosis and constitute.Shanghai J Tradit Chin Med. 2000; 8: 39-41
- Radix Sophorae flavescentis for chronic hepatitis B: a systematic review of randomized trials.Am J Chin Med. 2003; 31: 337-354
- Mamane: scientific therapy for asthma?.Hawaii Med J. 1994; 53 (63): 350-351
- The American Pharmaceutical Association practical guide to natural medicines.1st ed. William Morrow, New York1999
- Immunoherbology of traditional Chinese medicine: immunology, pharmacology and clinic: Ling Zhi.in: Luo H.S. Luo D.H. Beijing Medical University and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College Union Publisher, Beijing1999: 54-60
- Immunoherbology of traditional Chinese medicine: immunology, pharmacology and clinic: Ku-Shen.in: Luo H.S. Luo D.H. Beijing Medical University and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College Union Publisher, Beijing1999: 208-213
Supported by National Institutes of Health grant # AT001495-01A1.
Disclosure of potential conflict of interest: M.-C. Wen has filed a US patent application (reference #60554775). H. Sampson has received grants/research support from the National Institutes of Health and has filed a US patent application (reference #60554775). M. Kaltan is on the speakers' bureau for AstraZeneca. X.-M. Li has received grants/research support from the National Institutes of Health and has filed a US patent application (reference #60554775).