Abbreviation used:HEPA (High-efficiency particulate air)
House dust mite
- Cloosterman S.G.M.
- Schermer T.R.J.
- Bul-Hofland I.D.B.
- Vanderheid S.
- Brunekreef B.
- van den Elshout F.J.J.
- et al.
- Rijseenbeck-Nouwens L.H.M.
- Oosting A.J.
- deBruin-Weller M.S.
- Bergman I.
- de Monchy J.G.R.
- Postma D.S.
Pet allergen avoidance
Rodent allergen avoidance
Cockroach allergen avoidance
- Assessment and control of environmental exposure.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1983; 72: 231-241
- Measurement and characterization of cockroach allergens detected during normal domestic activity.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 104: 672-680
- Methods and effectiveness of environmental control.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 103: 179-191
- Clearing the air: asthma and indoor air exposures.National academy press, Washington (DC)2000
- Guidelines for control of indoor allergen exposure.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 107: S403-S440
- Evaluation of materials used for bedding encasement: effect of pore size in blocking cat and dust mite allergen.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 103: 227-231
- Effects of house dust mite avoidance measures on Der p 1 concentrations and clinical condition of mite-allergic asthmatic patients using no inhaled steroids.Clin Exp Allergy. 1999; 29: 1336-1346
- Manchester Asthma and Allergy Study: low allergen environment can be achieved and maintained during pregnancy and in early life.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000; 105: 252-258
- Reducing domestic exposure to dust mite allergen reduces bronchial hyperreactivity in sensitive children with asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1992; 90: 135-138
- Effect of a bed covering system in children with asthma and house dust mite hypersensitivity.Eur Respir J. 1997; 10: 361-366
- Effect of mattress and pillow encasings on children with asthma and hose dust mite allergy.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 111: 169-176
- A randomized controlled trial of mite allergen-impermeable bedcovers in adult sensitized asthmatics.Clin Exp Allergy. 2003; 38: 1648-1653
- House dust mite allergen avoidance: a randomized controlled trial of surface chemical treatment and encasement of bedding.Clin Exp Med. 1994; 24: 1078-1083
- Preventive effect or bedding encasements with microfine fibers on mite sensitization.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998; 101: 28-32
- Control of house dust mite antigen in bedding.Lancet. 1990; 335: 296-297
- the combined influence of immunotherapy and mite allergen reduction on bronchial hyperresponsiveness in mite-sensitive asthmatic children.Eur J Pediatr. 1998; 157: 109-113
- Clinical evaluation of the effect of anti-allergic mattress covers in patients with moderate to severe asthma and house dust mite allergy: a randomized double blind placebo controlled study.Thorax. 2002; 57: 784-790
- The Melbourne house dust mite study: long-term efficacy of house dust mite reduction strategies.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998; 101: 451-456
van der Heide S, Kauffman HF, Dubois AEJ, de Monchy JGR. Allergen-avoidance measures in homes of house-dust-mite-allergic asthmatic patients: effects of acaricides and mattress encasing. Allergy 197;52:921-7.
- Effects of physical intervention on house dust mite allergen levels in carpet, bed and upholstery dust in low-income, urban homes.Environ Health Perspect. 2001; 109: 815-819
- Control of exposure to mite allergen and allergen impermeable bed covers for adults with asthma.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 225-236
- Vacuum cleaning decreases the levels of mite allergens in house dust.Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 1993; 4: 136-143
- The role of water temperature and laundry procedures in reducing house dust mite populations and allergen content of bedding.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1992; 90: 599-608
- Effect of dry cleaning on the mite allergen levels in blankets.Allergy. 1993; 48: 264-266
- Ten minutes in a clothes dryer kills all mites in blankets.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1996; 97: 423
- Chemical treatment of carpets to reduce allergen: a detailed study of the effects of tannic acid on indoor allergens.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1994; 94: 19-26
- Benzylbenzoate moist powder: investigation of acaricidal activity in cultures and reduction of dust mite allergens in carpets.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1992; 89: 536-545
- Portable dehumidifiers in the control of house dust mites and mite allergens.Clin Exp Allergy. 1994; 25: 312-316
- Attempting to control mite allergens with mechanical ventilation and dehumidification in British homes.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 103: 756-762
- Lowering humidity in homes is a practical way to control house dust mites and their allergens in homes in temperate climates.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 107: 99-104
- Aerodynamic properties of the major dog allergen, Can f 1: distribution in homes, concentration, and particle size of allergen in air.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 155: 94-98
- School as a risk environment for children allergic to cats and a site for transfer of cat allergen to homes.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 103: 1012-1017
- Domestic allergens in public places III: house dust mite, cat, dog and cockroach allergens in British hospitals.Clin Exp Allergy. 1998; 28: 53-59
- Antigenic analysis of household dust samples.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1998; 137: 358-363
- The effect of cat removal on Fel d I content in household dust samples.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1989; 83: 730-734
- Cat removal and Fel d 1 levels in mattresses.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1991; 87: 595-596
- Airborne cat allergen (Fel d 1): Environmental control with the cat in situ.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991; 143: 1334-1339
- Evaluation of different techniques for washing cats: Quantitation of allergen removed from the cat and effect on airborne Fel d 1.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1997; 100: 307-312
- The effect of air filtration on airborne dog allergen.Allergy. 1999; 54: 484-488
- Air filtration units in homes with cats: can they reduce personal exposure to cat allergen?.Clin Exp Allergy. 2003; 33: 765-769
- Effects of air filters in homes of asthmatic adults sensitized and exposed to pet allergens.Clin Exp Allergy. 2003; 33: 101-105
- A placebo-controlled trial of a HEPA air cleaner in the treatment of cat allergy.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998; 158: 115-120
- Airborne mouse allergen in the homes of inner-city children with asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005; 115: 358-363
- National prevalence and exposure risk for mouse allergen in US households.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 113: 1167-1171
- Environmental intervention reduces mouse allergen levels in homes of Boston inner city children with asthma.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2004; 92: 420-425
- Ecology and elimination of cockroaches and allergens in the home.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 107: S422-S429
- Removal of cockroach allergen from inner city homes.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 104: 842-846
- Results of the National Cooperative Inner City Asthma Study (NCICAS) environmental intervention to reduce cockroach allergen exposure in inner-city homes.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 103: 501-506
- Results of a home-based environmental intervention among urban children with asthma.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1068-1080
- Abatement of cockroach allergens (Bla g 1 and Bla g 2) in low-income urban housing: month 12 results.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 113: 109-114
Supported by grants from the US Environmental Protection Agency (R82672401), National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences (ES09606), and National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (HL058942).
Disclosure of potential conflict of interest: P. A. Eggleston has consulted for Clorox Corporation, Proctor and Gamble, and the Church and Dwight Company.